Over the years, the Creative Quilters Guild of Ellis County has volunteered and contributed many handmade items for local groups. Some of the community service projects have been:
- Facemasks to slow the spread of COVID-19
- Baby items for new mothers
- Lap quilts for veterans, church groups, and assisted living centers
- Fidget quilts for memory care patients
- Pillowcases filled with school supplies and/or toiletries for children
- Baby quilts, tote bags, and crayon totes for CPS children and children’s hospital patients
- Fleece hats, neck pillows, surgery pillows, and ice bag covers for hospital patients
- Food donations for churches and food pantries
- Quilts for victims of natural disasters
These groups include Hope Clinic, Waxahachie; North Texas VA Hospital, Dallas; Children’s Medical Center, Dallas; Parkland Hospital, Dallas; Manna House, Midlothian; Clayton Nursing Home, Ennis; and many more.
This year we are providing:
Fidget Quilts: Members are making individual 8.5” blocks to be assembled into 24” lap quilts. These blocks have a variety of textures and items sewn on. They are donated to assisted living centers to keep resident’s fingers and minds busy just playing and touching all the textures.
Quilts of Valor: The guild is currently sewing blocks and making quilts for those who have served in the military as a “Thank you for your service” gift. This program is headed up by Carol (email@example.com) and Patty (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Baby items for Hope Clinic: Hope clinic is our local faith-based medical clinic providing a full range of medical, dental, and behavioral health services. The guild supports their vibrant women’s health and pediatric care work by providing a variety of baby items including diaper bags, quilts, receiving blankets, new clothing, and more.
VA hospital: Guild members make lap or throw size quilts for patients at the VA hospital in Dallas. We have been doing this for many years and it is very much appreciated by all those who benefit from it.
Student scholarship: The guild raises money for an annual scholarship fund that goes to a senior from any Ellis County high school that is planning a career and field of study in textiles.
Silent auction monetary donation: In July of every year, the CQGEC holds a quilt show at Sokol Hall in Ennis. Miniature quilts are donated by our members for a silent auction. Members vote for an Ellis County non-profit group to receive the funds from this silent auction. Past recipients have included North Ellis County Outreach Center, Hope Clinic, Women’s Resource Center (now First Look), Red Oak Senior Center, the Bridge Breast Network, and Golden Circle Senior Center in Ennis.
To get involved in CQGEC Community Service:
- Follow your heart – volunteer your donations and handiwork to support the charities that mean the most to you
- Call or text Diana Buckley at 972-921-6715 with your questions
- Use “the Porch” at Seldom Seen Quilting (511 Brown Street, Waxahachie) to pick up supplies and/or drop off finished donations while COVID-19 prevents us from meeting in person
- Bring your donations to guild meetings once in-person meetings resume at Waxahachie Bible Church on the 4th Monday of each month